Section representative: Ad Welleman.
This is a multifaceted programme which incorporates as many aspects of the profession as possible:
- principal private lessons (technique, études and repertoire from all periods)
- methodology (education)
- chamber music and ensembles taught by various teachers
- orchestral repertoire, orchestra class and participation in orchestra projects
The orchestra class, in which the entire brass section works on relevant passages from the entire orchestral repertoire, is held weekly.
Two pieces from different style periods. The examples below serve only as a guide:
- J. Haydn - Trumpet Concerto in E flat
- J.N. Hummel - Trumpet Concerto in E flat/E
- B. Martinu - Sonatina
- J.G. Pennequin - Morceau de concert
- G. Parès - Fantaisie-Caprice
- P. Hindemith - Sonata
- G. Enescu - Légende
One challenging étude, for example:
- J.B. Arban - Collected Études Part III
- T. Charlier - 36 études trancendantes
- N. Bousquet - 36 Celebrated Studies
Or a work for trumpet solo, for example:
- V. Persichetti - Parable
- O. Ketting - Intrada
Upon completion of the master's degree programme, the graduate trumpet player will have developed his/her solo and orchestra-related abilities to the extent that he/she will be ready to enter the professional music world at the highest level and in a broad capacity.
The candidate will perform a programme which may not exceed 30 minutes. He/she is required to play at least one piece from memory. This programme will include a variety of musical styles. Programme guidelines and requirements may be obtained from the section representative.