Section representative: Pierre Volders
This is a multifaceted programme which incorporates as many aspects of the profession as possible:
- principal private lessons (technique, études and repertoire from all periods)
- methodology (education)
- chamber music and ensembles taught by various teachers
- orchestral repertoire, orchestra class and participation in orchestra projects
- weekly lesson with répétiteur weekly trombone ensemble lesson
The orchestra class, in which the entire brass section works on relevant passages from the entire orchestral repertoire, is held weekly.
Audition candidates from outside the European Union will be selected on the basis of a video recording to be submitted digitally via the application form. Other candidates do not have to send in a recording. The repertoire for the recording is the same repertoire as for the live audition. Recordings must be received by February 1st at the latest.
Scales and chords
One of the fowolwing pieces:
- A. Guilmant - Morceau symphonique
- N. Rimsky-Korsakov - Concerto
- C. Saint-Saëns - Cavatine
- Gordon Jacob - Concertino
or a work of similar standard.
One melodic and one rhythmic etude, to be chosen from the following:
- Bordogni/Rochut, uitg.: Carl Fisher - Melodious Etudes for Trombone
- Sigmund Hering, uitg.: Carl Fisher - 40 Progressive Etudes for Trombone
- C. Kopprasch, uitg.: Carl Fisher - 60 Selected Etudes for Trombone
- H.W. Tyrell, uitg: Boosey & Hawkes - 40 Progressive Studies
- Henri Couillaud, uitg.: Leduc - 21 Etudes brillantes
Scales and chords
One of the following pieces:
- E. Sachse - Konzert in F-Dur
- G. Jacob - Cameos 1, 2 and 3
(or a work of similar standard)
One melodic and one rhythmic etude, to be chosen from:
- T. Pedersen - Intermediate etudes for bass trombone
- Dordogni/A. Ostrander - Melodious etudes for bass trombone
- O. Blume - 36 Studies for trombone with F-attachment
- E. Vobaron - Etuden für Bassposaune
Upon completion of the master's degree programme, the graduate trombonist will have developed his/her solo and orchestra-related abilities to the extent that he/she will be ready to enter the professional music world at the highest level and in a broad capacity.
The candidate will perform a programme which may not exceed 30 minutes. He/she is required to play at least one piece from memory. This programme will include a variety of musical styles. Programme guidelines and requirements may be obtained from the section representative Pierre Volders.