The saxophone occupies a special place within the woodwind section; teachers are Arno Bornkamp and Henk van Twillert. Each year saxophone students take part in a saxophone quartet and the saxophone orchestra for one semester respectively.
Section representative: Armo Bornkamp
Audition candidates will be selected on the basis of a video recording to be submitted digitally via the application form. Recordings must be received by February 1st at the latest.
Each year saxophone students take part in a saxophone quartet and the saxophone orchestra for one semester respectively
• a piece of the candicate's choice at the level of Tableaux de Provence by Paule Maurice, the Sonata by Fernande Decruck or the Sonata by Paul Creston
• two etudes to be chosen from Six pièces musicales d’étude by Raymond Gallois Montbrun or Quinze études by Charles Koechlin
• two etudes to be chosen from 60 Etudes by Ferling
• scales up to and including four sharps and four flats
• a piece of the candidate's choice
Two weeks before the bachelor's entrance exam the candicates will be sent a mandatory work; this can be either a solo piece or a duet to be performed with one of the current students.
Upon completion of the master's degree programme, the graduate saxophonist will have developed his/her solo and chamber-music abilities to the extent that he/she will be ready to enter the professional music world at the highest level and in a broad capacity.
1. a piece of the candidate's choice at the level of Prélude, cadence et final by Alfred Désenclos, Capriccio by Leo Samama, Concerto by Henri Tomasi, the Sonata by Edison Denisov
2. a solo piece of the candidate's choice at the level of one of the two Sequenze by Luciano Berio, In Freundschaft by Karlheinz Stockhausen or Mysterious Morning by Fuminori Tanada
Two weeks before the master's entrance exam the candidates will be sent a mandatory work. This can either be a solo piece or a duet to be performed with one of the current students.
3. The candidate must submit a list of repertoire with a proposed programme for the entrance examination to the CvA study secretariat before February 1st. This programme should reflect the candidate's versatility and ability to develop new repertoire, e.g. new music or arrangements. The admissions committee will evaluate the proposed programme and make any necessary changes.