The double bass section also has a strong teaching staff and a high percentage of students being appointed in Dutch orchestras. The annual masterclasses by renowned double bass players, such as Szymon Marciniak and Rick Stotijn, are an important component of the training.
Section representative: Olivier Thiery
* one or two movement(s) of a solo concerto or a sonata or any other piece with piano
* one or two different movement(s) or etude from Mengoli studies, or Bach cello suite, or Fryba suite or any other study book
* orchestra parts: Verdi - Othello; Beethoven - 9 recitativo; Mozart - 40 (obligatory!).
Total max. 20 minutes.
After the two-year course, students will be ready to enter the professional music world at the highest level.
Upon taking the final examination for the bachelor's degree programme, CvA candidates must have received the distinction 'eligible for acceptance to the master's degree programme'.
1. The candidate will give a performance which may not exceed 30 minutes. He/she is required to play at least one piece from memory.
2. The candidate must possess orchestral and ensemble experience, as well as sufficient musical and technical ability in music of various style periods.
3. The candidate must submit a list of repertoire with a proposed programme for the entrance examination to the CvA study secretariat before 1 March. This programme will include a variety of musical styles. The admissions committee will evaluate the proposed programme and make any necessary changes.
4. The programme should consist of two different movements from a Fryba or Bach cello suite (obligatory!). The candidate is free to choose the rest of the programme: they may choose to perform solo works, sonatas, shorter pieces, concertos, orchestral and/or ensemble repertoire, and contemporary repertoire.