6th National Viola Competition
Participants should have the Dutch nationality or be living in the Netherlands (including students from abroad who study or have studied at a Dutch institution). Age limit is 27 years.
13 November 2019 Bernard Haitinkzaal
1. Hoffmeister - Studies for viola, choose from nos. 1, 4, 5 or 7. Numbering according to Peters edition. No repeats, except all the first repeats in no. 5.
2. Bach - Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin, choose from:
* Sonata 1, BWV 1001: Adagio
* Sonata 2, BWV 1003: Grave
* Sonata 2, BWV 1003: Andante, no repeats
* Partita 2, BWV 1004: Sarabande,1st repeat
* Sonata 3, BWV 1005: Largo
3. Brahms - Sonata in f minor, op. 120 nr. 1 1st movement: Allegro Appassionata
Bach is to be played from memory.
14 November 2019 Bernard Haitinkzaal
1. Vieuxtemps - Capriccio for viola solo
2. Lutoslawski - 5 Bucolics for viola and cello
3. New piece for viola and cello by Garth Knox, music will be available in the summer.
4. Choose one of the following pieces with piano:
* Bax - Concert piece (1904)
* Hindemith - Sonata opus 11 nr. 4
* Hindemith - Sonata opus 25 nr. 4
* Martinu - Sonata
* Prokofiev - movements from Suite Romeo and Juliet, arr. Knigge (Donemus)
total 15-17 minutes
Vieuxtemps is to be played from memory.
Candidates are required to bring their own cellist for Lutoslawski and Knox.
For ensemble playing it is strongly recommended that the candidates bring their own pianist for the 1st and 2nd rounds. If this is a problem they should let the organization know before 1 October 2019! (Please note that if you need a pianist from the conservatorium there are costs involved.)
17 November 2019 Bernard Haitinkzaal
Brahms - Concerto for viola op. 120 nr. 1, arr. Luciano Berio (1986)
with the CvA Symphony Orchestra conducted by Ed Spanjaard
To be announced.
How to apply
Please apply by filling out the application form. You will be asked to upload a CV to the form and fill out two links to recording of two movements of contrasting repertoire. Please state whether you prefer to play with an accompanist of the CvA viola department or your own pianist.
Closing date for application: 15 September 2019
Classical project organisation