The Student Counsellor informs and guides students with respect to practical and legal aspects of the course, i.e. financial assistance and enrolment regulations. Personal problems may also be discussed.
Issues that can be discussed with the Student Counseller are, for instance:
- problems with study progress (due to illness or a chronic condition)
- functional constraints/neurodiversity (autism, AD(H)D, dyslexia, etc.)
- financial issues (such as Dutch study finance DUO)
- official procedures (such as BSA, immigration service, examination board)
- complaints / appeals
- issues of inappropriate behaviour from staff or fellow students
- communication challenges (for instance, how to deal with ('Dutch’) feedback)
- personal problems
- mental-emotional constraints (depression, anxiety, suicidal ideation, etc.)
- study motivation, planning, methods
Information about registration, deregistration, binding recommendation regarding study discontinuation, visa procedures et cetera can be found on the Student Affairs website of the Amsterdam University of the Arts.
Mirjam Pol Student Counsellor