The Conservatorium van Amsterdam has more than 100 bilateral contracts with partner institutions across the world. In the framework of these collaborations, such as the Erasmus+ programme, the CvA is organising exchanges enabling CvA students to study abroad for one semester and students of our partner universities to spend one semester at the CvA. Our partners include amongst others the following institutions:
Ruth Graf-Fleet International Relations Officer
- Conservatoire national supérieur de musique et de danse de Paris
- Conservatoire national supérieure de musique et de danse de Lyon
- Rhythmic Music Conservatory, Copenhagen
- Department of Music, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim
- Siena Jazz University
- Universität der Künste Berlin
- Hochschule für Musik Hanns Eisler, Berlin
- Sibelius Academy, Helsinki
- Royal College of Music, London
- Guildhall School of Music & Drama, London
- Hochschule für Musik, Cologne
- Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst, Vienna
- Universität "Mozarteum", Salzburg
- Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst, Graz
- Popakademie Baden-Wurttemberg, Mannheim
- Instituto Politecnico do Porto (ESMAE), Porto
- Academy of Music, University of Zagreb
- Fachhochschule Nordwestschweiz
- Royal Birmingham Conservatoire
For a more comprehensive overview please click here
- Thornton School of Music, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- Frost School of Music, University of Miami
- Boyer College of Music and Dance, Temple University, Philadelphia
- School of Jazz, The New School New York
- Manhattan School of Music, New York
Admission is based on available study places for the chosen programme and the level of the student’s audition recording. The CvA aims to accept the same number of students as go abroad, but exceptions may be made for very talented exchange candidates.
Please note that due to the programme structure and/or language of instruction, the CvA unfortunately cannot accept exchange applications for the following programmes:
- MA Composing for Film
- MA Live Electronics
- BA Music in Education
- MA Musical Leadership
- AEMA Hybrid Programme
The Erasmus code of the Amsterdam University of the Arts/Conservatorium van Amsterdam is NL AMSTERD07.
Students are advised to first contact the exchange coordinator at their home institution to get approval for the exchange.
Students need to prepare the following documents
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter
- Recommendation letters (optional)
- Transcript of records (optional)
For performers: A portfolio (approx. 20 minutes in total), including videos and/or audio files. Students have free choice concerning the repertoire they want to include, 2-3 pieces in contrasting styles is advised. Multiple videos should be merged into one file and then uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo or SoundCloud.
For composers: the score of one of their compositions, preferably accompanied by a recording of a performance.
For students applying for music theory: a portfolio of previous work. While students are free to choose what they wish to submit, the portfolio should consist of work such as:
- Extended harmony assignments
- Extended counterpoint assignments
- Model compositions
- Analysis papers and/or a bachelor’s thesis
Exchange students are expected to have an adequate level of English proficiency of at least CEFR level B1. Students can use the CEFR self-assessment grid to evaluate their level of proficiency in English.
Students are not required to submit an English language proficiency test with their exchange application.
The CvA uses the EASY platform to manage all exchange applications. Students first need to create an account, complete the application form and submit the necessary documents.
Study Plan/Learning Agreement
Each student that is accepted for an exchange at the CvA will receive a tailormade programme for their exchange. At the application stage, students can prepare a preliminary study plan in EASY and choose from a pre-selected overview of subjects per study programme. These courses are part of the standard curriculum for an exchange student at CvA (30 ECTS for one semester & 60 ECTS for the academic year).
Upon acceptance, the student will receive more information about the various courses and electives they can attend. At the start of the exchange the student will have a meeting with our study advisor to finalise the study plan and sign the learning agreement.
Academic year 2023-2024:
- Call for applications opens: 1 February 2023
- Call for applications closes: 1 March 2023 (for Autumn semester & Spring semester 2023/24)
Outcomes of the application
Students will be informed in the course of April/May about the outcomes of their application (depending on the programme they applied for).
Accommodation for exchange students
The Conservatorium van Amsterdam does not have specific student housing available for exchange students. The CvA will provide accepted students with a number of resources on how to find housing in the greater Amsterdam area.
CvA students can study abroad for one semester at one of our partner institutions - depending upon placement options and completion of the required subjects at the CvA. Information regarding the application procedure and deadlines can be found on MyAHK (under 'Studying Abroad') or by contacting the International Relations Officer.