Application, Admission and Enrolment
In order to study at the YPA, you must go through an admission procedure. The admission procedure is as follows:
- You apply for an audition through the application form. You must upload two performance videos and a motivation letter. The videos may be either performances of covers or of your own songs. The deadline for application is 5 April 2024.
- Based on these videos, you may be selected for the YPA Orientation Day on 20 April 2024.
- Based on what the teachers have seen and heard from you during the YPA Orientation Day, you may be invited to audition in May/June 2024.
YPA Orientation Day
If, based on your videos and motivation letter, it appears that your level of playing and motivation are sufficient, you will be selected to participate in the YPA Orientation Day. On this day you can play together with the teachers and with a band. This will allow the teachers to assess your level, give you feedback and advice on auditioning, and discuss with you what would be a good time to start YPA. This day is an excellent opportunity to get a taste of the atmosphere at Young Pop Academy.
If your performance at the YPA Orientation Day shows that your level is sufficient, you will be invited to audition. On the YPA Orientation Day we will discuss with you how to tailor the audition so that you can freely show your best side. You can audition with your own band, on your own, with a backing track or with the accompanying band (consisting of students or alumni of the Pop bachelor programme)
During the audition you will perform two songs. These can be covers, but we welcome your own ideas and arrangements. We appreciate beginnings and or sketches of your own songs, even if they are not yet finished. A selection committee of YPA teachers will test you on the following three points: creativity, technique and ear. In the ear test, we ask you to repeat notes, scales, intervals and short melodies.
During the Orientation Day and auditions, you will have the opportunity to gain playing experience, meet YPA students and receive feedback from professional teachers. Those who successfully complete all three steps will be admitted to the Young Pop Academy.
Click here for information about the Young Pop Academy course fees (information can be found under 'Other fees').
- The Young Pop Academy is not a college education, but a course. Students are therefore not entitled to study financing.
- In exceptional cases, the Conservatorium van Amsterdam can mediate in obtaining a study grant for the Young Pop Academy.