Frequently asked questions: Application

What is the deadline for enrolment?
The application forms with all the necessary papers must be sent before the closing date for application for the department of your choice. Please click here for an overview of the closing dates.

May I enrol for two instruments?
Yes. You are then required to do a separate entrance exam for both instruments.

I'm from abroad and I don't speak Dutch, is it possible for me to enrol?
The lessons at the Conservatorium van Amsterdam are in Dutch or English. Therefore every student at the Conservatorium van Amsterdam must have a passive as well as an active knowledge of the Dutch or English language. Students who cannot speak and understand English (or Dutch), cannot be admitted to the Conservatorium of Amsterdam.
In order to enrol as a student, foreign candidates from non-English speaking countries outside EU, need to present a TOEFL or IELTS certificate with a sufficient score. The minimum scores can be found under Admission and Enrolment -> general information. The certificate needs to be submitted together with the other papers for the audition. Without a TOEFL or IELTS diploma, or without a sufficient score, the candidate cannot be enrolled as a student.
Candidates from non-English speaking EU-countries are excempted from the IELTS- and TOEFL-requirement in case English was part of the secondary school exam concluded with sufficient result. Evidence should to be added to the application form. All other candidates from non-English speaking EU-countries should perform an IELTS- or TOEFL certificate.
More information

For more information about the tests, where to take them etc, please view: or

Does the Conservatorium van Amsterdam offer part-time studies?
No, the Conservatorium van Amsterdam does not offer any part-time studies.

Is it possible for me to apply by sending a recording?
Application with a recording is in principle not possible. For only a few instruments an exception can be made, and only if the candidate is from a non-EU country. See also the information under the principal subjects or contact the study secretariat.