Jazz and Death: Reception, Rituals, and Representations
Jazz and Death: Reception, Rituals, and Representations critically examines the myriad and complex interactions between jazz and death, from the New Orleans "jazz funeral" to jazz in heaven or hell, final recordings, jazz monuments, and the music’s own presumed death.
Introduction: Jazz and Death
1. When I Die, You Better Second Line: The New Orleans “Jazz Funeral”
2. The Devil’s Music: Jazz in Hell
3. Louis and the Angels: Jazz in Heaven
4. Swan Songs: Final Concerts and Last Recordings
5. The Long Fall: The Death of Chet Baker
6. Nine Naked Muses: Memorializing Ellington
7. Funky Odors: Is Jazz Itself Dead?
Publication date, May 2023